Post Study operates and promotes a number of student mobility scheme to international students. Look through our schemes below to see if any of them are suited to you.

The Teach in China Scheme is supported by the Chinese government and was established as a Sino-UK bilateral language and cultural exchange program to provide a platform for UK graduates to gain International Teaching Experience.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the application process?

The application process will involve the following steps: 

  • Easy Apply via the PostStudy Website
  • Skype Call and Information Sharing
  • Coaching Sessions on Interview Preparation and Performance
  • Two Skype Interviews with our China Representatives
  • Document Collection
  • Cerficitate Verification and Confirmation
  • Visa Application 

Who can apply for the scheme?

The scheme is open to applicants from any degree background. We are looking for candidates who are passionate about gaining international work experience and professional teaching skills.

To be eligible you must meet the following criteria: 

  • Must be at least 21 years old.
  • The scheme is open to native English speakers only
  • Bachelor's Degree & 2 years teaching experience
  • Bachelor's Degree & any Global English TESOL Qualification 
  • Education Degree
  • Pass a medical examinations to check health status
  • Age limit 21 – 60

What qualifications do I need to apply?

  • Bachelor's Degree & 2 years teaching experience
  • Bachelor's Degree & any Global English TESOL Qualification 
  • Education Degree

If you do not already hold a certificate of teaching English you will be required to undertake one prior to your acceptance onto the scheme. English Teaching Certificates that are currently recognised by the Chinese government are: TEFL, TESOL and CELTA.

Contact for more information about our Part-Funded Teach In China Scholarship. Poststudy will part fund your English Teaching Certificate with one of our partners.

What are Coaching Sessions on Interview Preparation and Performance?

We offer you free guidance, coaching and interview preparation with one of our partners to help you with your interview skills and delivery. The coaching sessions will involve a mock interview and conversation. We will provide feedback on your performance and describe areas for you to improve. 


What is the interview process?

You will be required to undertake two interviews with our recruitment team in China. The first round interview will be conducted via Skype by our China Program Coordinator. This will be followed by a second round of interviews via Skype by our China Program Coordinator.

If you are successful, you will be notified in the following days.

Where will I be located?

You will be located in a school in Beijing. During the interview process, we will discuss which age range you have a preference for.  If you have a specific preference or need, please make it known before your arrival and we will try to accommodate this as much as possible.


Who will I be teaching?

We work with state owned public schools. Students age ranges are from 4 years old to 18 years old. Depending on your experience and preference, we will try and place you with the most appropriate age range. However, we do request that candidates be flexible as we cannot guarantee to meet all requirements. 

When is the deadline for application?

You can apply any time of the year. The two main dates in the school calendar are September and February. However, the scheme is open throughout the year, and we have placed staff mid-term. You are advised to apply for the scheme eight weeks prior to commencement of the programme in order to prepare for the visa application. 

Do I need a medical check, certificate check and criminal records check?

The Chinese governement requires all three. We will pay the costs of your DBS Check, Certificate Check and Visa Application.

  • Medical check: we can assist you in completing a very simple Medical Check before entering China with your GP or nearest health practitioner.
  • Criminal Records Check (DBS): we can assist you in providing you with a DBS check. We will require original documentation from you and some simple forms to complete
  • Educational Certificate Check: we will require your original Bachelors Degree Certificate (and Masters Degree certificate if required) and some simple forms to complete
  • Visa Application: we will require your original Passport, Passport Photographs and a Visa Application form to complete 

Are there any costs involved?

You will need to cover the following costs should you be successful:

  • Return ticket to China
  • Travel insurance 
  • Vacination costs

How do I book a flight?

  • We will discuss with you if you succesful in your interviews.
  • We will discuss arrival dates and when to book your ticket. Where possible we suggest arriving two days before the start of Teacher training and acclimatisation to allow time for orientation and to get to know fellow trainees. 
  • After completing you 12 month contract, you receive Flight allowance 10,000RMB to offset the cost of a return airfare. 

How about living costs?

  • It is recommended to bring at least £300 for the first month’s living expenses. As a rule of thumb we recommend a budget of 50RMB (£5) per day during the week and 150RMB (£15) per day for weekends.
  • IMPORTANT NOTE: Teachers not from USA, Canada, UK, Australia, and European nations that use the Euro may have trouble exchanging their currency in China (Specifically South Africa and New Zealand). Please exchange to RMB before you leave your country. 

What support will I get while in China?

Our program coordinators from SAFEA and local schools provide full range of support during your time in China. 

  • Airport Pickup: airport pickup will be arranged, provided you arrive during the suggested time period and a reasonable hour with accurate information. A member of our team will pick you up at the airport and take you to your accommodation. 
  • Induction Training and Orientation: you will receive one to three days training organized by Post Study and China Service International. Induction days include further details on living in China and English teaching/survival Mandarin classes. Accommodation, food and refreshments will be provided.
  • Program support: In the unlikely event that you encounter a proglem, our program coordinator and school staff will be your main point of contact in China. 
  • Access to a Teaching Mentor
  • Access to a range or teaching resources
  • Access to continual professional development and teaching practices
  • Daily life guide service:
    • opening up banks accounts
    • healthcare assistance
    • apartment errand assistants
    • assistance for life in the city
    • Chinese Language training after work
    • trips and team building activities with colleagues

Do I have an opportunity to learn Chinese?

You don't need to speak Chinese; however, there are opportinities. There are many different ways to learn Chinese in China. The most common way is to find a personal tutor, which can cost around 30-100RMB (£3 - £10) per hour. Unfortunately we do not provide Chinese classes. 

Tier 5 GAE of the Points Based System is an option for international students to have short-term and/or career related post study work experience in the UK. These visas are available through particular organisations who act as the visa sponsors so that your employer does not have to sponsor your visa to work in the UK after study.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How to join the schemes?

There are over 70 schemes under Tier 5 Temporary Worker. Tier 5 sponsors are listed alongside Tier 2 sponsors in the Sponsor Register or you can find a list of all the current Tier 5 schemes and sponsors on the UK Visa and Immigration website.

If I find an internship opportunity in the UK, can I apply for a Tier 5 GAE Visa?

Yes, as long as you and the employer meet each Tier 5 GAE scheme criteria.

What are the Criteria for students/graduates

Although there are some variations in the different schemes, in general the internship should meet the following conditions to qualify for sponsorship:

- Hold a valid passport, good immigration records, and no criminal records.
- Internship must be between 3 and 12 months, with minimum 20 hours per week to full time. 
- Be paid at least National Minimum Wage. 
- Must have completed their studies within 3 years and have graduated with minimum of bachelor's degree. 
- The internship role must be on NQF Level 3 or above. 
* If applying to switch in the UK from Tier 4 to Tier 5 GAE, the internship role must be directly related to their most recent degree.*

Does the sponsor monitor the internships?

Yes, sponsor monitor both the intern and the company with spot checks and audits to ensure that both parties meet the requirements set by the Schemes and the Home Office. It is the responsibility of the migrant and the company to ensure we are sent a copy of the Tier 5 GAE visa, updated with the contact information of the migrant, copies of the migrant payslips and their National Insurance number. We must also be informed of any changes of circumstances within 10 working days.

Can you extend the stay after your internship?

A Tier 5 internship is for a maximum of 12 months and the candidate MUST return to his or her home country; however, if there were to be a career progression in both the job position and salary with the same employer or a different company, the candidate can apply for another Tier 5 visa, but the maximum period of time the candidate can stay on Tier 5 GAE visa in the UK is 24 months.

What should I do and what happens if I resign?

If you resign you must notify the sponsor via email immediately and provide the sponsor with the reason for the resignation, the date of the last day of the internship and your current UK address. 

As required by the Home Office the sponsor will then withdraw the visa sponsorship via the Sponsor Management System which then in turn notifies the Home Office. If you have more than 60 days remaining on your Tier 5 GAE visa then you will be sent a curtailment letter from the Home Office which will detail your options. These are, you can either make a fresh application or leave the UK. 

If you have less than 60 days remaining on your Tier 5 GAE visa then you must leave the UK before or on the current visa expiry.

What should I do and what happens if I find another job?

If you find another position you will firstly need to resign from the current internship and inform us immediately. We will then withdraw our sponsorship accordingly. Dependant on the position offered you will either need to make the new visa application from your home country or be eligible to make a fresh visa application in the UK.

**if you are eligible to apply in the UK you must not begin at the new employer until the new BRP has been granted**

Am I allowed to do a part time job “supplementary employment”?

A migrant sponsored under a Tier 5 GAE scheme is allowed to do a part time “supplementary” job only if it meets the following criteria:

• must be in either a job on the shortage occupation list in Appendix K of the Immigration Rules or a job in the same sector and at the same level as the work for which the Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned; 

• must be no more than 20 hours per week;

• must be outside of your normal working hours for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned.